Being aware of why we are eating is essential to changing the behavior. Mindful eating involves paying full attention to the experience of eating and drinking. It has been shown that by practicing mindful eating, people may be able to control their emotional eating and overeating habits, enjoy their food and feel more aware of the body’s physical hunger and satiety signals.
Mindful Eating Techniques
- Eat small or moderate amounts of food every 2-3 hours
- Pause before eating and ask questions e.g. Am I hungry? Am I thirsty? How do I feel? Why am I eating? Ask what type of food/drink do I want? Will it satisfy the hunger?
- Sit down to eat at a table with food served on the plate
- Sit in a quiet environment with no distractions
- Eat slowly and pay attention to the food using all the senses
- Put utensils or food down between mouthfuls
- Wait 10-20 minutes after a meal before eating more food if you’re still hungry
- Feel grateful for your food
Looking to add whole food plant-based foods to your diet? Book a session with me here